Open House: Evolving City Artist Opportunity
Kettle’s Yard and our neighbouring communities in North Cambridge are looking to commission an exciting and quality programme conceived by an artist with the Open House: Evolving City artist residency.
Our Open House community programme aims to empower communities in North Cambridge to actively shape the cultural life of their city through developing innovative and engaging projects in collaboration with the very best artists working today.
This is an exciting opportunity for an artist with a socially engaged practice to co-produce new work through dialogue and workshops with the community. From May 2018 to March 2019, the artist will be ‘in residence’ in North Cambridge, working alongside community groups and individuals to realise an innovative and inspiring art project. This will lead to a public presentation or event at the end of the residency in a community setting. The residency also asks artists and community to think about the ways in which the project can connect to Kettle’s Yard.
The artist will receive a fee of £6,000 for 20 days working directly with communities and a budget of up to £3,000 for production costs. There is an additional fee of up to £1,500 for research, administration, meetings and evaluation time.
We are now seeking expressions of interests from artists who have:
- A demonstrable, ambitious and inclusive social practice
- Experience of working with diverse communities and listening and responding to their unique needs and aspirations
- A strong vision that enables opportunities for creative risk-taking
- A willingness to collaborate and co-create with the community
- An interest in making Kettle’s Yard relevant and responsive to the evolving nature of contemporary society in the City.
How to apply
- A one page A4 CV
- Details of two referees
- 300 word statement of interest explaining why you would like to be considered and how your experience is appropriate
- 300 word proposal outlining how you might respond to the aims of Open House and work with communities through your art practice
- Portfolio: one pdf file showing two examples of relevant past work of collaborating with communities. To include 2/3 images or links to video/audio works, or a combination of both. Please do not send additional catalogues, photographic or other material in the post to us as it will not be reviewed and we will be unable to return the items.
All file names should begin with: LastName_FirstName_
Please submit electronic copies of the above documents to our email: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: Open House Artist Opportunity.
Deadline for applications: Midnight on 25 March 2018