Lunchtime Talk: History of Peterborough Bridges – Brian Keegan
The last in this short season of Tuesdays Till Two talks, History of Peterborough’s Bridges, will be given by Brian Keegan. Railways, the river Nene, the drainage of the Fens and the Development Corporation have given Peterborough a rich legacy of over 300 Bridges.
As usual the St John’s café will be open from noon, staffed by volunteers from The Green Backyard, and a selection of hot drinks and home made quiche, cakes, scones etc will be on sale with all profits going to the GBY.
Admission is free, but those attending are invited, if possible, to make a donation to help cover the costs of the event. The suggested donation is £4.
Peterborough, divided north south by the River Nene, and east west by the East Coast main line and with the Fens to the east, is today a city with over 300 bridges, from the earliest existing bridge at Wansford, built in 1577 on the original Great North Road, to the many bridges constructed by the Development Corporation during the development of the city’s parkway system in the 1970’s and 80’s. The draining of the Fens and the coming of the railway also led to the building of many bridges.
Today 19 of the bridges are listed, including the Nene Viaduct –
the only remaining cast iron bridge on Britain’s mainline railway system.
This illustrated talk will give listeners a chance to reflect on how design, material and technology has revolutionised bridge design over the past half millennium and to learn about some of Peterborough’s rich engineering heritage.