Beginners Improv Weekend
Would you like to be able to improvise scenes and stories? Develop your confidence in speaking in front of a group? Be more creative and spontaneous?
Our experienced tutors will guide you step-by-step through a weekend workshop that will take you from complete beginner to improviser. You’ll learn the core skills and practices of improvisation, and by the end of the weekend you’ll be creating characters, telling stories and playing scenes – all entirely made up on the spot!
Who is this workshop for?
- Absolute beginners and refreshers, people with some or no acting/stage experience, or just people wanting to give it a go
- People who want to feel more confident in front of a group or audience, and develop their communication and story-telling skills
- Writers and actors who want new ways to develop stories and characters or to by-pass a creative block
- Anyone who wants to think faster on their feet, be more spontaneous and work better as part of a team
- And anyone looking for a fun weekend playing games with grown-ups
What will it be like?
We believe that people learn best when they feel comfortable and supported. So we create a friendly, welcoming, relaxed and playful environment in which you can try out new skills. The weekend will be very active – you’ll be on your feet a lot of the time, in pairs or small groups, trying things out and experimenting with different games and techniques. You’ll find it liberating, joyful and fun – improv will help you to really be yourself.
Improv isn’t about being funny, clever or fast-thinking, it’s not about remembering jokes, and it isn’t stand-up comedy. It’s about working as part of a team, supporting each other, to create scenes, stories and characters that are believable. You’ll find yourself laughing a lot during the weekend, and you’ll find that improv scenes can be serious and dramatic as well as funny.
How do I book?
Email Stuart Reid at email@example.com quoting ‘Beginners Improv Weekend’ to receive details of how to book and how to pay for your place at the workshop. You will receive confirmation that your place is reserved for you when we have received your payment.
Where and when is the workshop being held?
17 & 18 May 2014, in the Becket Chapel, Peterborough Cathedral, Minster Precincts, Peterborough PE1 1XS. The course will run from 10.30am – 5.30pm on both days.
What is the content of the two days?
- Core skills and practices of improvisation
- Creativity and generating spontaneous ideas
- Accepting offers and building on them (saying ‘Yes, And…’)
- Creating scenes by telling stories
To book and to find out full information click here.